After my last post about relaxed hair, it's only fair that I share with you just some of the things I love about going natural. I'm almost two years natural and while I've had my ups and downs, it can be safely said that I love my hair.
- My hair is healthy - This wasn't something I could say before as when my hair was relaxed I didn't look after it. Now my hair gets as much attention as a new born baby and it shows.
- Breakage isn't a thing - With my relaxed hair I experienced an OBSCENE amount of breakage. I left a trail of hair wherever I went like a gross Hansel and Gretel. My breakage now is minimal, my hair stays where it should be. On my head!
- Experimenting - I was always scared to try anything with my relaxed hair due to how damaged it was (see above) but now I feel like I can do whatever I want. I play around with different styles and products. I've even attempted colouring it.
- Finding a community - This probably has to be one of the best things about going natural. Finding like minded individuals to share my journey with both offline and online. I love Youtube for hairspiration and the natural hair communities on G+ are just fantastic if you are in need of advice or encouragement.
- Saving that money - The cost of maintaining my natural hair is significantly less than maintaining my relaxed hair. I no longer go to a stylist which has saved me over £200 in the last year. My hair arsenal has reduced to shampoo and conditioner, a handful of oils, ACV and one styling creme. All of which cost less than £50 and will last me the year if not longer.
- NO MORE BURNS - This is a big one for me. I got painful scalp sores literally every time I got relaxed. Many an evening was spent massaging the scabs with antiseptic cream. Never again!
Being natural makes me happy and I think really that's all that matters. I have a lot of fun with my hair and I feel good with it. Whatever state your hair is in, as long as you are happy and confident just go with it. What goes on below your hairline is far more important than what's going on above it.