At the beginning of this year I started an anti-diet project for myself (you can find out more here). The goal was simple, no more diets. Just healthy eating that was responsive to my needs. Sounds easy, right? Actually, not so much. Adopting an intuitive approach to my eating has been challenging but doable, it's shutting off the little voice in my head that's been really difficult. The voice that says my body isn't good enough, that I should be constantly striving for smaller and tighter. I refuse to give into this negative nonsense, so I've developed a five step plan that gets me out of my 'bad body' mindset and has me back to feeling flawless.
Read Also: Falling Off The Anti-Diet Wagon
- Figure Out Your Trigger - Negative feelings don't just happen. There is always a trigger. It could be a nasty comment, an unflattering pair of jeans or just spending too long comparing yourself with the model-esque girl on the tube. Figure out yours and work through it. This way you also know what sets you off and you can mentally prepare if the situation arises again.
- Don't Beat Yourself Up - Staring at the lines around your eyes or poking your wobbly bits is not going to make you feel better. Don't call yourself names and don't skip lunch. Just leave your body alone. That 'imperfection' that's driving you nuts today is not going to matter tomorrow.
- List What You Love About Yourself - When you are in a bad body place, it can be hard to think of any positives but you have to try. List as many positives as you can think of about your body. Remind yourself of what makes you beautiful. That killer smile, those lush locks, you know you've got it going on.
- Put On Your Most Flattering Outfit - If you don't feel body beautiful, don't sit around in old sweats. You are not helping yourself. Put on your favourite outfit, do you hair, paint your nails - whatever it takes to make you feel better about the person you see in the mirror.
- Dance Your Blues Away - This really works. When you are down, just crank up your favourite tune and sing your heart out. Dance like no one is watching. All the frustration and pent up anger will just melt away.
There really is no point in making yourself miserable worrying about what your body looks like. Your body is not even the most interesting thing about you, it's just the house your personality lives in.
If you enjoyed this post show me some love by hitting the like button and please leave comments below!